At Aviva Investors we believe that responsible investment requires a detailed understanding of sustainability issues. As a major international real estate asset manager, we are working with our partners and advisors to fully play our part in ensuring the real estate industry plays a leading role in addressing the world’s sustainability challenges. At Aviva Investors real estate we believe that through a major commitment to sustainability and its complexities we will continue to deliver our clients investment objectives.
At The Lanes Shopping Centre we care about the environment and aim to reduce our impact on it by listening to our staff, customers and our community.
Do we recycle?
Yes we do. In fact we have been recycling since 1997.
- We encourage our retailers to fully participate in our recycling programme and the list of products we recycle includes cardboard, glass, waste paper, clear plastic, shrink wrap, cans, clear bottles, florescent tubes and scrap metal.
- Most of our clothing retailers recycle their coat hangers and many of our larger retailers such as New Look, Debenhams, Next, JJB Stores, JD Sports recycle over 90% of their coat hangers.
How do we manage water and electricity?
- Additional water and electricity meters have been installed to improve the monitoring of consumption and a recent change to our mall cleaning from daily pressure washing to monthly or bi-monthly plus daily machine scrub and dry has greatly reduced the amount of water we use.
- Lighting in the majority of the centre is controlled by timers or by the use of passive inferred sensors so that the lights only operate when required.
- When our public toilets were redesigned in 2006 we incorporated many environmental features such as Grohe Pulsomat Surf Radar Electronic taps to all wash basins, infra red controls to all urinals and water cisterns (Triaqua) which flush automatically and reduce water consumption to all of these areas by approx. 15%. Low energy lighting was fitted throughout plus xlerator excel hand dryers (1.4 kilowatt per hour) which use 82% less energy. Other features were included to reduce cleaning time and materials.
Do we care about local community?
- Since early 2008 The Lanes Shopping Centre has provided a home for the Rotary Club wishing well which donates money to local charities every month.
- The Lanes Shopping Centre is an Official Patron of StagedRight Youth Theatre and works with the group to promote performing arts.
- We also work very closely with our local hospice, the Eden Valley Hospice who also have a book shop within the centre
What are our future plans?
- In the near future we intend to replace our existing gas boiler in the management suite with a new energy efficient one.
- The centre is in the process of reviewing our waste collection contract to see if more can be done to increase the amount of waste the centre recycles each year.
- We have a rolling programme of replacing all fluorescent lights (58 watts) in our service areas with 35 watts. In addition these replacement lights have built in movement sensors that reduce down to 15 watts when no activity is detected in the area saving up to 70%.